Located around 200 km from the West of Ha Noi, Moc Chau is the biggest district in Son La province. If you ever have a chance to visit this mountainous zone in November-December, you will be astonished by the beauty lies in those cauliflower flowers under the misty fog curtain.
1/Ideal Time for Cauliflower Flowers in Moc Chau:
In the beginning of winter (November – December), cauliflowers blossom in the highest degree. Tourists can catch a glimpse of stretching meadows or even valleys of them among green highlands, just like those cinematic scene in Hollywood movies.
If you haven’t got a chance to travel in winter, you can still go to Moc Chau for other festivals around the year. Before Lunar New Year in February, people come here to observe peach flowers (hoa mận). As for March, there is variegata flowers (hoa ban) season. The Mong ethnic minorities will celebrate their Independence Festival in September.
2/How to Travel to Moc Chau:
Moc Chau district is in Son La Province, which is 180 km from Ha Noi. The most common route to Moc Chau is the National Road 6 heading towards Son La, Dien Bien. If you are a backpack enthusiast, you can go there by motorbike, starting from Nguyen Trai, Thanh Xuan street or Lang Hoa Lac Area through National Road 6. A non-stop trip from Ha Noi to Moc Chau takes 4-5 hours, and 6-7 hours for a trip with resting time.
Besides, you can go to Moc Chau by bus in My Dinh or Yen Nghia Bus Station. The ticket price for one seat is VND 170,000 (approx. USD 8.5) and for one bed is VND 230,000 (approx. USD 11.5).
In Moc Chau area, the ideal means of transportation is by motorbike: you can rent a motorbike at a hotel to be more flexible in exploring the place. The rental price varies from VND 150,000 – 200,000 (approx. USD 7.5 – 10 ) per day.
3/Where to Stay in Moc Chau:
There are 3 ways for you to stay overnight in Moc Chau: book a hotel room, set a camping site or homestay at local residences. The hotel price is VND 150,000 – 250,000 (approx. USD 7.5 – 12.5) per night in 3-star hotels. The highly-densed site of hotels are in Moc Chau city center and Agricultural Field town.
4/Cauliflower Flowers in Moc Chau:
1.Agricultural Field town
There are two large flower fields here. The first one lies in the Dining 70 restaurant, 181 and Truong Giang hotel area. The second one is a smaller field which is 100 meters away from Truong Giang hotel.
2.The area near Bua Village, Dong Sang Ward
Follow the instructions below and you will find the way lead to white cabbage flower as a piece of cake:
-Turn to the alley opposite the Huong Sen hotel (near the traffic lights)
-When reaching the end of the alley, turn left.
-Keep walking for 50 meters until you meet the first intersection point, turn right and walk straight to the end.
3.Thung Cuong/Thong Cuong Village
This is a Mong minority tribe, lies between Dong Sang ward of Moc Chau and Xuan Nha ward of Van Ho. The path leading to Thung Cuong contains vast valleys of cauliflower flowers.
4.Ang village in Dong Sang ward
Cabbage flowers grow mostly in pine forest in Ang village, which makes this place an idea spots for honeymoons and photographing.
5.Pa Phach village
This village is called ‘flower paradise’, which can pretty much portraited the mesmerizing beauty of it. The amazing flower meadows will greet your eyes with its upmost beyond horizontal line beauty.
– Do not damage the flowers.
– Recommended photography spots: five colored flowers, ‘crab’ flowers grew among grasses
– Besides cauliflowers, the tea hills in Moc Chau is also beautiful. The heart-shaped hills are in Agricultural Field town, on the way of going to Ngu Dong – Ban On. This way can be called green way, and you should rent a motorbike for sightseeing.
– After cauliflower season, peach flowers will take place and show its grace starting from the end of January.
What should be prepared before going to Moc Chau ?
– Clothes: There are 4 ‘seasons’ in a day at Moc Chau – sunny at daytime, but breezing cool at nights, so remember to bring warm clothes.
– Shoes: Since it is a mountainous area, running shoes will be recommended.
– Backpacking necessities: If you want to go camping, remember to bring tents and personal hygiene stuff.
– Medicine: Anti-insect spray bottles, stomach vials, bandages, vitamins, etc. must be prepared to deal with worst unexpected situations in the area with high humidity and lots of mosquitoes and other insects.
– Camera: Moc Chau is a nice place for photographing. Therefore, even you are not a professional photographer, you should have a decent digital camera or phone lens. There are enough scenery spots for you in Moc Chau and you would feel deeply regret if you do not have a nice camera with huge memory and charger.
Translator: Diem Nguyen